Sunday, July 26, 2009

Love Does Not Always Mean Like

When my children were little, I remember reading somewhere that when the qualities you dislike about yourself show up in your children, they will be the toughest things you have to deal with. For example: impatient, grouchy in the morning, stubborn.

I found this to be so true.

Of late, I have experienced that when my adult children see the qualities they dislike about themselves in me....they begin to fall out of love with me. Opiniated, stubborn, moody.

The only true unconditional love on this earth is that of the parent to the child. Not the child to the parent. Or the spouse to the spouse. Or the sister to the brother.

Notice I said earth. God's love is unconditional.....but he is not of this earth.

If you are reading this...and you are my child....know that there is nothing you can do that will ever make me not love you. Ever.

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny, because it is something I have realized lately too. My mom and I have had trouble for years because she is so judgemental. Then, I realized, I am the same. In fact, sometimes I will say something and I will hear her voice. Turns out, we are the same nasty little person :). Your kids will see that in time too.

    ReplyDelete