Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fluff and Puff: The Powder Room

In case you've never really given it much thought......the heading of this blog states "Changing Moods Daily".......so untrue. It's more like changing moods by the moment. I just posted about our Valentine's Day date but now I am changing moods.....to tell you about my latest project.


A few weeks ago, I was in Hobby Lobby and decorative fabric was on sale. I saw the very fabric that my sister used in her dining room which I adore.....the sister and the fabric. I would love to have this fabric in my house, but I have no place for it............wait a minute............I could make a skirt for the pedestal sink in the powder room. And so I bought 2 yards and set it aside until I could get to it.



Yesterday, I got out the fabric and figured it all out. I sewed 2 gathered panels and attached them to the underside of the sink with velcro (one piece gets sewn on, the other piece has a heavy duty sticky back on it) It turned into an all day project but for you seamstresses out there, you could have whipped it out in an hour. I stop a hundred times to do other things like laundry and holding the dog.

This is a dimly lit room so I couldn't get a great picture of the colors.....and I'm still trying to figure out the settings on the new camera...
but I love the way it turned out.







This is the true color of the fabric. Changed the setting on the way over my head camera.








While you're in here, you might as well see the throne. The cross-stitched Hackney was a wedding gift from one of my mother-in-law's good friends 25 years ago. I love it and probably appreciate it more today than I did as a young bride in '83. This little room is where I put all my blue & white. My first true love.........in decorating......blue & white. I still have a few odd pieces and they get displayed here. I think that's what I love about this fabric....the background is the greatest shade of golden khaki and the blues, reds and golds just jump out and hug me. Really.

3 comments:

  1. Love that fabric!!! You done good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving it - nice project! And I have a couple of delft houses too - blue and white is my fav - with a touch of yellow... now which room can I redo for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so great. Isn't it funny how these things work out? Just last weekend I finally made a skirt for my tub sink in our laundry room after wanting to do it for 12 years! IT TOOK ME ALL DAY. And I sew a lot. My bad was that the velcro I got didn't have a sticky side, it would have to be sewn on and glued on the other side which I didn't realize until after the skirt was ready. I ended up with my handy dandy glue gun and that baby is up. I love your fabric; you and Catha have fab taste, it looks great. I was wondering if you were thinking the same as me, "Why did this take me sooooo long?"? Well, 'cause it takes a whole day even though I think everything takes about half an hour.

    ReplyDelete