Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Same Kind of Different As Me....

This post title happens to be the name of a really good book, but that's not what this post is about. I wanted to do a post about my Book Group friends....and while trying to put into words how I feel about this group of friends, this "title" popped in to my head.  They are the same kind of different as me. 

Our group meets about every 6 weeks to discuss the book chosen from the previous meeting. We discuss the book a little, but we eat, drink, laugh, talk and eat and laugh again, and discuss the world's problems...much more than we discuss the book.  I think the book is just a lovely excuse for gathering.  While some of the members see each other outside of Book Group, others rarely see these friends until Book Group. I'm one of the latter....I only see these women every 6 weeks so I really look forward to the 3 hours I am with them.

But together we are a group.  A unique and different yet similar and alike group. They are the same kind of different as me.




How we are the same:

We're all over 40 or 45 or 50.
 (I know how old I am, I'm not going there with the others.)


We've all raised our children....meaning most of us are Empty Nesters.
(Some have an adult child or two back in the nest after college.)


We all love to read.


We all love to discuss the world's problems
and how we would fix them.
Oh, and how we would fix the education system
 and the welfare system and the traffic on some of the roads around us. 


We all love to eat.


We all live or used to live in the same neighborhood.


We are all tired when we get to the meeting
 but are quickly rejuvenated by the conversation.



How we are different:


One member has a grandchild.  This member would love one.


Some are Democrats, most are Republicans.
  Politics comes up but goes away quickly. 


Several of us work in education, while others work in the real world
or work at running their homes.


Only a few play tennis.  I am not in that few. 


One member always keeps us on track.  Or tries to.
  Most of us talk about everything but the book.


Some of us are blonde, some are brunettes.
 (And that could be real or bottle.)


Some are soft spoken....others don't ever stop talking.
(Take a wild guess where I fit in here.)




I think what I'm trying to say is this group is diverse yet close.  I adore each of them for different reasons, feel connected to all of them and have grown by knowing them.

Yes, one can still grow if they are over 40 or 45 or 50.  I hope you have a group of friends like this...if a book's involved, all the better for you.


By the way....here's our next pick.......



3 comments:

  1. Ahhh...girlfriends. They seem to become more important the older we get. I wouldn't trade my current set for anything! That book went straight on to my must read list! I'm glad you shared. I've always wanted to be in a book club but never have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I am a more quiet, tennis playing,grandma wanna be, blonde (OK, bottle)who loves our little group. Wouldn't change a thing about the group or your post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post makes me want to post about what an awesome group of women are in my book club. One of our ladies just started her journey with breast cancer. Our group has rallied around her in a way I would not have imagined. I am very grateful to my bookclub ladies!

    ReplyDelete