Thursday, April 21, 2011

Good Friday, almost

Sometimes I walk in to a classroom and take over.  Yesterday, as one of the teachers was handling a problem, I took over the "calendar time" because the other natives were getting restless on the floor.

Me:  Today is..........        (and they all say with me) WEDNESDAY.......APRIL.....the 20th......TWO THOUSAND ELEVEN. 

They sing the April song to me.  We look back at the calendar and talk about how many school days we have had so far in April. 

We talk about what will TOMORROW be? 

And then I point out that Friday will be a holiday.

Me:  It's called Good Friday.  Of course, any Friday that we don't have school is GOOD! 

Him:  Mrs. H, my mama said it's a holiday because that's the day Jesus was crucified.  And Easter Sunday is the day he was resurrected.  And that gives us all the hope for new life.

Me:  That's right.  It's a big day for Christianity......for those of us who love and believe.





And we moved on. 

But, I thought you should know God still exists in public schools.  He's too big to keep out. 

2 comments:

  1. Out of the mouths of babes. Thank goodness kids don't know what is "politicaly correct". Happy Easter weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete