Me and the dogs are a little depressed today. The college kids left us to go back for the spring semester. The cat that makes me laugh has left with the college girl. The yard is dead and brown. The house is dusty. Pictures of Haiti are haunting me. I think I have the January Blues.
So in trying to think of things positive I have come up with a list of good things.
- I have the day off for Martin Luther King Day.
- We are able to send our kids to college.
- Running water and electricity.
- The dust is only household dust....not the earthquake kind of dust.
- The yard is frozen and brown but not covered in feet of snow like my northern neighbors.
- The Ellen Show....she always makes me laugh...and cute Keith Urban, her guest.
- Jordan's wedding is 2 months away....something wonderful to look forward to.
- I have a couple of good books waiting to be read.
- Chuck and his love of computers...which means I always have a good one to use.
- The blog world....which has given me a creative outlet I couldn't have imagined 3 years ago.
Being a control freak, I find myself spiralling downward when I cannot fix things. I am not sure how Haiti will ever be "fixed"......but I suspect it will be one moment at a time, one child at a time, one pile of rubble at a time, $10 at a time......one prayer at a time. So for now, I think all we can do is pray. Is it just me or are you just a little ashamed at all that you have when you see those pictures of the destruction?
Help me to stand back and look at the big picture and know that you are in control. When the house is quiet and the sad thoughts are rushing in, help me to remember all the many blessings you have given me. Reveal to me, once again, your presence in this world. Be with the people of Haiti. In this horrible storm, let them feel your calm. Give your incredible stamina to the people who have gone to the island to help. Thank you for my abundant blessings and above all, your grace.