I am writing this letter to you the evening before you leave for college. You are my last child to leave for college and while I am so excited for you, it is hitting me a little harder than when your sisters left. Now that's not because I didn't love your sisters....but when they left there was still a child or two here.
I am not finished raising you. This day got here too soon. There are a million things going through my head (and heart) that I think I should still teach you or at least tell you. Bear with me while I type up a few of them.
1. I hope you remember to pray. You will have some scary days, some sad days, and even some extremely happy days in the years ahead. Turn to God in prayer....for strength, for guidance and even to thank him. You will hear him best in moments of silence...so take some time for silence every day.
2. Try to eat healthy. You have always loved fruit and vegetables so I'm not too worried about you ....but eating most of your meals in a cafeteria, you may be tempted to eat a lot of pizza. Just throw in an apple now and then.
3. Be kind to your roommates. Treat them like you want to be treated. Clean up after yourself. Pick your things up off the floor. Hang your towel up. Rinse your toothpaste out of the sink.
4. Go to class. Listen and take notes. Re-write and re-read those notes. Study. Teach yourself. Even if it's not a subject you care about...you will feel good about the good grade. Think to yourself....I am smart. I can learn anything.
5. Do not have sex. Ever. If you do, it should be in a loving relationship. And always use protection. Always. Every time. Every single time.
6. Make lots of friends but choose them wisely.
7. Do your laundry at least every other week. Cold/Cold. Extra Large Load.
8. Stay true to yourself but allow yourself to change and grow.
9. Please don't get any more tattoos. I heard they're going out of style.
10. Don't text and drive. Actually don't do anything else and drive. Just drive when you're driving.
11. It's not legal to drink alcohol until you're 21. NOT LEGAL.
12. Don't get in a car with a driver who has been drinking. Call a cab. We'll reimburse you.
13. Finish college. You are not allowed to quit. However, you will have a time limit....so get busy.
Now, a few things I want to tell you again.....
1. You are my direct hit from God. He knew I needed a third child and a son.....even when it wasn't on my list.
2. You are funny.
3. You are handsome.
4. You are kind.
5. You are smart.
6. You give the best hugs.
7. Thanks for being a good kid (except that ONE incident...which I know you will never do again). You have been a joy (except that ONE incident....which I know you will never do again) .
8. Thanks for teaching Sunday School and Vacation Bible School with me. Those will always be some of my favorite memories of time you and I spent together.
9. You are extremely talented...especially with your photography...but I suspect what we have seen is only the tip of the iceberg.
10. You will be successful at anything....I hope you find your passion.
So tomorrow, if I cry, just let me cry. I am looking forward to your new beginning but first we must get through this ending.
I love you. Mama