Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Paint it black...






The huge selling point of this house 8 years ago was the kitchen. All white cabinets made it look even bigger. I still have the white cabinets but almost everything else has changed. Over the last 8 years we have changed the flooring, wallpaper, backsplash, island top, island paint color (red) and knobs. It now looks more like us.

I have been tempted so many times to start painting the cabinets black just because I am tired of the white cabinets and they are beginning to chip in areas. The only thing preventing me from doing this is the thought of what a huge job/mess it would be. So on a whim one Sunday, I decided I would paint just the desk black. Chuck said no, I said yes.

An hour later and a trip to Home Depot and we started this little project. It required sawing into the molding at the top of the cabinets so we could put a trim up to make the desk look like a separate piece of furniture. Then we added a leg and painted the whole thing black. The finishing touch was covering a thin piece of wood with a black and white toile fabric to back the upper shelves.

And 6 months later, I painted the fireplace surround and mantel black. This time Chuck didn't even say no. But, I didn't ask either.

1 comment:

  1. It'll never change, it's called "no vision" syndrome, it's inoperable. But you are doing all there is to do by just proceeding as if the syndrome does not exist and do it anyway. This applies to all home decor and shopping decisions. I want your kitchen! All the projects you've done are wonderful. So make that 50 bowls and one kitchen, for pick-up.

    ReplyDelete