Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Way Ahead of Their Time

I work with kindergarteners. I absolutely love this age.....5 and 6. Lately, I have seen or overheard several of them showing their middle finger raised up by itself. Whether they REALLY know what it means, they do seem to know it means something rather naughty.

I was in 3rd grade and on the playground at Sul Ross Elementary in Bryan, Texas. Jimmy Eller showed me "the finger" and told me what it meant......we were under the slide and in my child's mind, we were well hidden. He told me it meant when a man tickles a woman's bottom. I literally pictured a woman standing there, fully clothed, while a grown man, fully clothed, tickled her on the cheeks of her bottom. Wow......I was in on a huge secret.

So, as an adult around these kids, I usually just tell them to stop, that it's not a nice thing to do......and they stop. But I wonder what the Jimmy Eller's are telling the girls it means these days.

1 comment:

  1. Last I heard he still thinks that's what that means. That's why he always smiles and waves in return when someone gives him the finger. I'm so jealous. Jimmy was always trying to run away from me and here he was telling you vital, life-altering information under the slide without you sitting on him. Oh man...

    ReplyDelete