Thursday, October 20, 2011

This is NOT a Commercial

Waiting for the Tempurpedic mattress to "break-in" and listening to Chuck huff and puff every night because he hated it, I reached my limit (which is not as high as most) and finally said yelled, "Call Gallery and take it back!"  I was sleeping better than I had in years and waking up rested with no pain...everything the commercial says.  But listening to Chuck's huffing and puffing was killing me.

We had been 3 times to look at mattresses and while we both decided on the Tempurpedic over 40 days ago...one of us was not liking it.  The second choice was a pillowtop.  Sunday night I decided to give in. So Monday, Chuck went to Gallery and set up a delivery for the pillowtop to be exchanged for the Tempurpedic.

The delivery guys brought in the new mattress and glanced at the Tempurpedic mattress on our bed and with a puzzled look asked, "You're trading this for a pillow top?" 

"Yes.  But not because I want to.....because my husband does."

One responded, "I'm so sorry, m'am."

And it was at this point that I started tearing up.  I know, crying over a mattress.  But I really liked it.

Monday night. 

I CAN'T SLEEP! 

I head to the couch.

HE CAN'T SLEEP EITHER.  Because the new pillow top is as hard as rocks because it will take at least 30 days to break it in.  Thirty MORE days because we are on Day 40 with the Tempurpedic.

So he comes in to the dark living room around 1:00 a.m., stands next to me on the couch, and says he will get the Tempurpedic mattress delivered back to the house the next day.  I say no.  He says yes...he will try harder to like it.  I say NO.  He says YES...HE IS. I YELL NO!!!

He quietly heads back to bed.

I lay there thinking how stupid we are.  So not only am I trying to fall asleep on the couch, I am trying to come to grips with how stupid we are.  And how that whole scene would play out in Gallery if we tried to get our mattress back...the one they had just picked up that day... the next day.  What is wrong with us?  We are old enough to receive the AARP magazine but we can't even choose a mattress. 

And now I'm adding up the delivery fees for bringing it the first time, taking it back to Gallery and now bringing it back to our house.  Ugh. 

Tuesday.

Chuck stops by Magpies and brings me a note.  The bed is on it's way back to our house.  The new pillow top is kept for Will's room/guest room.  The ancient mattress that was about 20 years old is hauled off.  So after 20 some odd years of never purchasing a new mattress, we have bought 2 in less than 40 days. 

The note Chuck hands me is from Mattress Mack...the owner of Gallery Furniture...


Dear Julia,

First of all thx for being a great Gallery Furniture customer.  Gallery really appreciates you and your husband.  And thx for being loyal to Tempurpedic - the worlds best mattress.  William has realized the error of his reselection and has made great amends! You have a wonderful husband and a great TPX mattress. 

Sincerely,
Mack


One "Get Out of Jail Free" pass written by Mattress Mack.  Apparently, Chuck walked straight up to Mack and said he needed help getting out of Husband Jail.  After Mack called the mattress salesman over to ridicule Chuck a little, he wrote the note to me.

I do have a wonderful husband.  However, he is as stubborn as I am.  And mattresses are the hardest thing in the world to shop for.

My advice to you....get twins and push them together if you must.

5 comments:

  1. pretty great story, but even greater husband!!!

    ps...I miss you in Kinder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I have to make my husband read this. We have been talking about getting a new mattress. Maybe we can tough it out a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read your writing! Love to hear the stories in person better! Hope all is well with you and yours. Chuck seems like a keeper.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are scaring the crap out of me. We need a new mattress too. Every morning I wake up sore and can hardly walk for the first 10 minutes. I shuffle around like an elderly lady. I realized last weekend while sleeping at my dads house that I didn't wake up sore on his mattress. I am like Chuck in that I despise spending money on a new set but now I'm scared I will make the wrong choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like a note from your mom or the doctor!!!! Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete