Monday, December 24, 2007

Supercalifragilisticexpealadocious....or something like that.



The first weekend in December, my sister-in-law, Beth flew in to Houston to see us. No, not to see us. To see her hero, Julia. No, not Julia. Julie. She had called a few weeks earlier to see if I would go with her to see Julie Andrews who was coming to the Hobby Center. I said yes......and she purchased VIP tickets. With a VIP ticket, you got a signed book by Julie and a photo op. Although it may look like Julie and I are old friends.......in reality it was a split second. But what a wonderful split second. She is beautiful, elegant, gracious, intelligent, funny and real. Very real.

The evening was "a conversation" with Julie. She told her life story and of 3 very lucky breaks in her early career that led to her success. She did not talk about her botched vocal chord surgery in the late 90's that rendered her unable to sing the octaves that made her so famous. She talked about her 38 year marriage, her charities of choice and how she knew she was blessed. It was a wonderful evening. One I may have missed had Beth not found the ad and called me to see if I would tag along.

Thankfully there was a photo op, as Beth told me all she wanted for Christmas was a photo of her with Julie. Checked that one off the list early! And I got one of me with her, too....something I never thought would happen in this lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment