Monday, December 17, 2007

His biggest fan...



Dan Fogelberg died on Sunday, December 16, 2007, at 6:00 a.m. He died at his home in Maine...after a long battle with prostate cancer.

I haven't cried but, oh, I am so sad. I woke up several times last night and thought about him. Probably I will cry one day over something as silly as a commercial and then the flood gates will open and I will wail for Dan. That's how it usually happens. Of course I didn't know Dan personally but he was a huge part of my growing up in my 20's......he mended my heart the first time it was broken, got me through many more bad relationships and sang to me and my babies in the middle of the night. When Will was a baby and would get fussy in the carseat, I could play a Fogelberg tape and he would immediately calm down.

I discovered Dan Fogelberg in the summer of 1978...his music was being played at a party and I asked someone who it was. By then he had 4 or 5 albums out and I bought them all and spent countless hours listening to them. I bought albums and played them on a record player....there was no fast forwarding or rewinding or skipping so I listened to every song on every album over and over and over.  I was his back up singer...in my living room or car.

I had had my heart broken in March of 1977 and I don't think I even began to feel again until I started listening to Dan's music. I continued to buy his new records....by then 8 tracks, then tapes, then cd's...but his first 3 or 4 albums are still my favorite. My children allow me to listen to his cd's on long road trips. Chuck took me to his concerts. I even have him listed as a Happy on this site.

I loved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment