When my kids were in elementary school and still read the Sunday Funny Paper, we would all laugh at Family Circus. Not laugh because it was funny but because it was so nerdy/corny/stupid. Remember when the mom would send Billy out to tell the dad something and rather than take the straight path to the dad....there would be dotted lines in the pattern of several 8's as Billy would get so side-tracked? Well, if you could look down on me today, you would see about 100 "8's" .......Call it adult ADD but at the end of the day, the jobs get done....and Billy always made it to the dad.
Since going back to work for the school district in 2004, I have started the tradition of having a summer project in June. These projects are too time consuming to do in a weekend or on a weeknight......and usually involve a big mess and at least 2 weeks to get to the finish line. Cleaning out the pantry, painting the walls in there and re-lining the shelves......Summer Project 2005 for example. Painting Will's room, hanging shelves and wallpapering one whole wall with old National Geographic Magazine maps....Summer Project 2006 for another example.
This summer, I am working on the girls' rooms upstairs. I switched their rooms and am turning the bigger of the 2 rooms into a craft/sewing/bedroom for Jordan. Since Jordan has moved to Phoenix with her bedroom furniture and Cameron is a resident of A&M/College Station for at least the next 3 years, it was time. I am finally getting a craft room at the age of 50. I am in lock-down mode until I finish. Today I am painting the top of a table and chest with oil-based black paint. Just getting up there to put the first coat this morning was at least 20 "8's." And while waiting for the first coat to dry, there were at least another 20.
Here are some of the dots I took........
1. Make 3 phone calls to VBS volunteers...caught 2 of them at home and had to tell our life stories to one another. No, I don't know these people. Luckily left the third one a voicemail.
2. Check my email. Check my blog. Read some blogs.
3. Stop and watch a little of Kathy Lee on the Today show. uhhhhh.....no chemisty with her co-host.... and it's not the co-host's fault.
4. Load the dishes. Start to wipe counters but CVS called that my prescription was ready.
5. Get my shoes on and run up to CVS to pick up a prescription. (antibiotic for the tooth that I just had a root canal and crown put on....now gum is abscessed and I am taking more antibiotics which has given me the free gift of you-know-what down you-know-where!)
6. Walk up and down every aisle of CVS 3 times before picking up my prescription.
7. Bought several items, one of which is a new brush for my blush.
8. Came home and started putting my new make-up away and decided the make-up drawer needed to be cleaned out.
9. Washed out all make-up brushes and drawer. Needed a better container for the make-up drawer so I went to dresser drawer and dumped jewelry into drawer so I could use that container. Stopped and looked around house for another container to put jewelry in but then...
10. Remembered I bought chocolate-covered pretzels at CVS....went into kitchen to grab the bag. Ate those on the way back upstairs.
11. Painted second coat of black on table top.
12. While still up there, got out the Goo-Gone and worked on the back of Cameron's bedroom door.....tape, taPE, TAPE! Oh, she pulled down the posters but left the tape. No problem.....for her. (I wuv you Cammie Sue)
13. Started Goo-Goning everything.....got into the girls' bathtub and Goo-Goned some old glue from a Shampoo/Soap dispenser that was taken down several years ago. Stopped to get a razor blade....now in this closet with all of my stuff. Razor blades in container with scissors and exacto knives..."things that cut."
14. Went back to the shower and while razor blading the glue off, I noticed how the soap scum was coming off, too. Little white powder flying everywhere....or maybe it was the top layer of the tiles. Anway....razor bladed soap scum for awhile.
15. Turned shower on to rinse off all residue......shower head was pointing towards the outside of the tub.....flooded a small area.
16. Got out towels to soak up flood. Saw that lower cabinets and trim had something spilled all over them. Coca-Cola? Ice Tea? Wiped that up then came downstairs to make me some tea....cause the spill made me think of tea and I realized I was thirsty.
17. Came in here to check my email. Checked some blogs. And whew! Here I am.
18. Thinking about that ice tea......oh, yeah,.....never got in there to make it.
19. But wait, I forgot to tell you about my new favorite thing.....the Scotch Easy Erasing Pad! Wet one of these babies and you'll be wiping every door, door frame, tile, dog and husband in the house. Scuff marks B GONE.
And 20. Ready to post this entry when I realized that you needed a few pics to really put you there. I am including a picture of my craftroom/sewing room with a bed for Jordan....which I am not going to show yet. I will put finished photos on here soon, I hope.
So there, 20 "8's" and one more thing. This is the black paint I have used on my kitchen desk, my kitchen fireplace mantel, my screendoor, and now my craft table and chest. Oil based and messy but cheap and good.