Sunday, March 25, 2007

memory loss or a.d.d.?

To give you an example of my memory loss or my adult a.d.d.........this blog was born this afternoon on a trip in to the study to look up a recipe. Once here, I checked my email. There was an email from a childhood friend who I still keep in touch with thanks to the internet. She has started a blog of her own in the past couple of months and was pleading to her friends to read it. Actually, I do read it.......everyday. But I do not comment. And because I do not leave a comment, she does not know I read it. So, after she said it was so easy to get set up, I clicked the button "comment." Well, it asked for my email and then a password and when I hit CONTINUE........I had given birth to my very own blog. I'm still not sure how to "comment."

Now, I am hip to this blog world. I have been reading favorite blogs for well over a year. I have about 6 favorites that are part of my daily ritual. And even though I only know one of these bloggers personally, I feel as though I know all of them. Actually, I know things about them, that my own real friends don't know about me. And God forbid I ever actually write some of my true feelings the way these girls have..........what if my mother saw it? (And believe me, she would crop up now and then as aren't all issues traced back to our mother?) What if my kids read it? And my husband?

I think of myself as an open book.........no secrets..........you ask, I tell. But a blog. Well, you can't exactly talk about people, now can you? And you can't exactly tell all of the secrets you have kept from your husband, can you? About those wild, promiscuous 20's? How about those PMS charged tirades of the 30's? Those would make for some great stories now, but do I really want to relive that stuff?

But I am 49. And being 49 gives me a freedom that I didn't have when I was in my 20's and 30's and even the early 40's. Because I am thinking that if I dont' write some of this stuff down now, I won't remember it much longer. Because if it's not a.d.d............then it's definitely memory loss that has crept into my brain. I charged into this room earlier today to get a recipe. Now I can't even remember what I was going to look up.........and here I am now.... A Blogger.

And let me say, that those daily bloggers I read have been a real source of joy for me. When I read their stories, I realize we are all in the same boat. This will just be my point of view from that boat.

1 comment:

  1. It's the "If You Give A Moose a Muffin..." syndrome. I like to remind good pals that it's really just information and sensory overload. And it truly is, everywhere you go there's music, flashing lights, tv's at the bank blaring so you should be distracted that it's taking 20 minutes for customer service to help you. Jiffy Lube has the tv, radio, lady at the desk, four customers on separate cell phones, bzzzz, bzzzz from the garage...soon the buzz term will be, "she went Jiffy Lube". Too much shit in the brain pie. Now, if I don't like someone, I say, "Hummm, you should probably get your affairs in order". I'm mean to mean people. If you were Amish you'd remember everything...Oh! And congratulations on this fab blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete