Monday, March 26, 2007

Sad, sad day

I am a kindergarten teacher's aide. They call us paraprofessionals, but I don't know what that means, so I call myself a teacher's aide. I head to work this morning with a smile and ready to face the day.

I am met with a roomful of sad, sad faces. What? What's going on? One of the teachers tells me that Zachary's little brother died this weekend in a freak accident. My heart is pounding in my ears, my body is frozen.

The family was having a dinner party and all of the children were upstairs playing. Apparently, Ethan was ontop of the airhockey table. He lost his balance and fell backwards out the window onto the patio. LifeFlight arrived and worked on Ethan for an hour before taking him to the hospital. He died during surgery.

He shouldn't have been on that table. He was. The window shouldn't have been open. It was. He shouldn't have died. He did. And now........nothing will ever be the same.

I can't quit thinking about Zachary. A little boy himself, who has to see his mother, father and older sister cry.....probably scream.....

Tonite I am going out to eat with Chuck and his business associates. I would rather be sitting by Zachary. Holding him.

No comments:

Post a Comment